Monday, October 30, 2006

Say It Ain't So!

Do you recall Humphrey Bogart challenging the banditos posing as Federales in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre? "Badges? We ain't got no... stinking badges!" came the reply.

Tell me that the recent Ashley Morris post entitled "Tenure? We don need no steenkeeng tenure!" isn't true, that "this article" in the Tulane Hullabaloo isn't a so called "thinly veiled plan", and that Tulane has not succumbed to such conduct. Just tell me that "this article" is a Halloween prank, and that I can keep my illusions about something being right with the world. After all, I have waited so long and worked so hard to be able to attend a university like Tulane, and I hate to be disillusioned in life once again.

I have long had a saying in my household for such conduct. It is, "I thought we all grew up." In so many words, I thought that by a "certain age" most all of us would have developed, well, standards of ethical and proper behavior; and that those in positions of authority would so act because they understood what is needed in leaders and that with position and power comes responsibility.

I will stick with "Say It Ain't So!" for now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

My guess is reality is somewhere between the bitter disappointment voiced by Mr. Morris and the Rose coloured glasses.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home